Virtual Summer Academy August 10, 11 and 12, 2020Click here to REGISTER NOW Overview:
Reopening Schools during a pandemic This program was recorded on August 10, 2020. Epidemiologist Dr. Westyn Branch-Elliman discusses COVID's impact on reopening schools. Four school nurse leaders from Massachusetts, Texas, Ohio, and New Jersey discuss their states' challenges, barriers, and plans for reopening schools. Donna Gaffney DNSc, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN also presents on Navigating Uncertainty in the New School Year: A Survival Guide for School Nurses
Virtual School Nursing Bill Marrapesse, presents his role as a Virtual School nurse for the Greenfield Commonwealth Virtual School. Bill discusses virtual teaching, support and screenings as a Virtual School Nurse. This is a recorded webinar from August 11, 2020.
Experiences of School Nurses Caring for Newly Arrived Immigrant and Refugee children. (RETELL for MA School Nurses) This is a recorded webinar held during the Virtual Summer Academy on August 11, 2020. Jackie Brady, Mary Kelly, and Isabel Rivera discuss School Nurses working with Immigrant and Refugee Students and Families. This counts toward RETELL for MA School Nurses.
A Call to Action: Raci sm in Nursing; Anti-Racism in K-12 schools Valeria Ramdin Ph.D., MS, APRN-BC, CNE, and Brenda Lormil, MSN, RN, FNP-C, and Executive Director of HAMA discuss racism in nursing past and present. It is a call to action for all nurses. Sheila Caldwell discusses racism in school nursing and school nurse colleagues discuss their experiences with racism. School administrators discuss how they are identifying and educating faculty regarding racism in their school. This program was created from our live webinar on August 12, 2020, the last day of our 2020 Virtual Summer Academy.
Cost: $ 129.00
Contact Hours 12
Reopening Schools during a pandemic
- Recognize the student safety concerns with reopening schools during a pandemic.
- Identify 3 solutions to student health and safety concerns with reopening schools during a pandemic
- Recognize the emotional responsibility school nurses feel in reopening schools during a pandemic
- List 2 strategies for self-care for school nurses working in schools during the pandemic.
Virtual School Nursing
1. Identify best practices & strategies for virtual school nursing.
2. Describe supports and barriers for the virtual school nurse role.
3. Report increased confidence in the effectiveness of school nursing virtually.
Experiences of School Nurses Caring for Newly Arrived Immigrant and Refugee children. (RETELL for MA School Nurses)
1. Identify how school nurses perceive the influence of immigration on this group’s wellness and educational success.
2. Describe the beliefs about the facilitators/barriers to health care delivery for this at-risk population.
3. Describe the perceived needs of school nurses in caring for their newly arrived children.
A Call to Action: Racism in Nursing; Anti-Racism in K-12 schools
- Identify important events, laws/regs/policies, cultures that have contributed to and/or ameliorated racism in nursing.
- Recognize the impacts of these events, laws/regs, policies, culture on colleagues and healthcare.
- Identify strategies to effectively address racism in healthcare.
Presenter Disclosure Statement:
The planners of this educational activity have no conflict of interest to declare. The speakers have no conflict of interest to declare unless otherwise indicated prior to their presentations.
Continuing Education Information:
Northeastern University School of Nursing is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurse Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Provider Number 2019U003