School Nurses Leading Student Population Health: Addressing Social Determinants of Health and Health Related Social Needs through a Lens of Cultural Humility (RETELL for MA school nurses)Overview:
Cost: $ 15.00
Contact Hours 1.25
After viewing this program, the participant will be able to:
- Define Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) and Health-Related Social Needs (HRSN) in school-aged youth.
- Describe the importance of cultural humility in school nursing practice.
- Describe how English Language Learners are at risk for increased SDOH and HRSN factors that can impact success at school.
- Identify students potentially at risk in their own communities.
- Identify at least 2 specific strategies for school nurses to address HRSN and SDOH in their communities.
Nate Horwitz-Willis, DrPH, MPH, MPA
Dr. Horwitz-Willis (sometimes referred to as Dr. Nate) is a Doctor of Public Health and received his training from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Fay W. Boozman (pronounced Bose-man) College of Public Health. He is an Assistant Professor of Public Health and Coordinator of Public Health Practice at the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) University in Boston, MA. He also concurrently serves as a Public Health Officer for the Massachusetts Air National Guard at Joint Base Cape Cod. His research and practice experience spans over a decade in both public health and healthcare sectors. He is a recipient of the 2019 Massachusetts Public Health Association (MPHA) Dr. Alfred Frechette ‘Rising Star’ award for being a champion of health equity in Massachusetts. Dr. Horwitz-Willis resides in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston.Continuing Education Information:
Northeastern University School of Nursing is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurse Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Provider Number 2019U0003
Participants successfully completing this program will receive a statement of credit for contact hours. Statements of Credit may be printed on-line after successful completion of the learning assessment.